Pages

¿Why did I squeal like a little girl this morning?

I'm not afraid of bugs, I don't particulary like them, but I'm not afraid of them. In fact I am incredibly mesmorized by the Black Soldier Fly maggots ( http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg226.html ) living in and assisting with my composting. They are extremely disgusting to watch, but also morbidly fascinating; and they are breaking down my kitchen waste into usable compost in record breaking time.

Anyway, back to my original question - Today is cleaning day; Marta comes once a week and we spend the day tearing the house apart and cleaning. On these days I like music, loud music, rock n roll or heavy metal. To that end I opened a dresser we use for storage of cd's, books, dvd's, and miscellaneous stuff in the office. I grabbed an external hard drive that contains what sometimes seems like the sum of all music but I know it is not, thank you Jim for this wonderful gift. As I lifted the hard drive a swirl and writhe caused me to jump back and squeal like a little girl. Thank goodness I maintained my grip on the harddrive. Any way the drawer was infested with LARGE back ants, probably carpenter ants, and their nest of eggs. Eggs larger than grains of rice. ( http://entomology.unl.edu/images/carpants/carpant_queen_brood3.jpg )
Anyway we, Tom, hauled the drawer out and we pulled the contents out then upended the drawer and the three of us did a new version of the mexican hat dance.

Now we are scouring the house looking for any other sign of ant activity, well except those pesky little kitchen ants that keep chipping through the grout around the kitchen sink; but that is another story.