Pages

Tropical Fruit - Mangos, and Mango Chutney


Mangos, Beautiful Mangos, Succulent Mangos




There more than 1,000 different varieties of Mangos grown in tropical and subtropical lowlands throughout the world, Mangoes are grown as yard trees in warm locations along the southern coastal areas in the UsofA, as well as every neighborhood here in Merida.


But really - Who knew there were so many types of Mangos, or that they could be so darn good! Being from the UsofA, and being a good cook, but not an overly adventurous, or inspired cook I was accustomed to the imported Mango from my favorite big box grocery store. And being typically uninspired I never bothered to find out how to select a mango and therefore always selected under-ripe, because they looked better. I have never really appreciated Mangos until setting up housekeeping here in Merida. Sure, while vacationing I frequently ordered the fruit plate in restaurants, and thoroughly enjoyed, without knowing the details, most all the fruit put in front of me.


Now I live in the land of amazing tropical fruit; and sooooo many varieties of each, and am developing a taste for and am experimenting with them with great joy.


Right now Ataulfo Mangos are in season. Wednesday’s are fruit and veggie discount days at the ‘Supers’ (grocery stores). Last week I paid 6 pesos per kilo for beautiful yellow Ataulfos.


Today, I am making mango chutney.

I have cooked often with store bought chutneys, but have not made my own before. It’s really so simple, well except for the peeling and cutting of the mango.

There are special techniques that you learn, check this video on how to cut a mango.





The recipe I am using is a bastardization of several I found on the internet

6 medium size Ripe Ataulfos, chopped

1 ½ c sugar

1 c vinegar

¼ cup minced ginger, use fresh or crystallized

½ c raisins

1 medium sweet onion, chopped

3 med-lg cloves garlic, finely chopped


¼ tsp chili flakes, or ground

¼ tsp salt



So here you see my lovely Ataulfos starting to be peeled and chopped


And here are the peeled mangos, and my gathered ingredients

Everything all ready to cook


Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.


YUM, mango chutney.



This batch was a bit too sweet for Tom and me, so I reduced the amount of sugar when writing my recipe above, plus we would like it with a bit more spicy heat so will likely add more chile.