Pages

Harry Potter

So this past Sunday found us standing in a queue outside a Cinemark theatre in Pearland Texas waiting for the ticket office to open so we could buy our tickets to see the final installment in the Harry Potter movie series.

I am a big fan of both the books AND the movies; having read each book several times and watched each movie several times as well. I find the stories to be full of fun, friendship, adventure, challenge, and choices, both good and bad. I also really enjoy how closely the movies stay true to the books. I hate going to see a movie based on a book I've read and finding very little similarity between the two.

So, there we were - waiting - when the background music caught my ear, Christian, Jesus loves me kind of music, catchy beat....

Once tickets were bought the crowd was directed to line up in a hallway rather than to let us enter the designated theatre. While waiting in this queue we overheard some discussion bout how/why movies there could'nt start before noon. Seems the start times are predicated on the end times for the churches there??? Additionally, it seems the theatre hosts a church service. Now this was all just overheard in a conversation standing in a queue.

The movie was fabulous, stayed true to the book, and tied up the story nicely.

I did comment to Tom that I recall early on in the Harry Potter series that the religious right was highly derogatory about the stories and were even advising their followers to not read or watch them. What with all that witchcraft and wizardry -

Seems the 'word' has changed and they now see the positive and uplifting qualities to the stories. Seems if you can't beat them you join them, and use them to your best advantage.

Or maybe I'm Just being critical and the change of heart was just a realization and acceptance of an error made??? I did/do still find it highly curious that they were always positive about the Narnia stories?? No sorcery or magic there...... Just me being negative and critical, probably from lack of sunlight, I need to get home!