Ah late lunch, then a long siesta!


Ah late lunch, then a long siesta!

That's an image most Americans have of life in Mexico, 



although some also envision it as the fat little Mexican eating beans on a tortilla then sitting on the ground under a tree with his knees drawn up and shoulders covered by a serape head tilted down and out of sight covered by a wide brimmed sombrero, but that's not the truth, and that's great fodder for a different story! And SO not the reality  


I understand the logic and good thinking to eating your large meal mid day, having a mid day rest, and then eating lighter in the evening. Here the large mid-day meal is la comida and usually occurs between 2 and 4, and the lighter evening nosh is la cena, and that happens about 9 or 10.

I want to embrace that habit, I just can't seem to do it.  I just can't seem to get my head around planning and assembling a large meal mid day, heck I can barely do it in the evening, but again, that's a different story.

Tom and I have a tendency to have coffee, and maybe split a bagel, then try to eat a little something early afternoon, if there are some leftovers from something, else it could be just a peanut butter sandwich. We then typically have a largish meal around 8pm.  This is so bad, all day we expend our energy and we have no fuel, then we load up and are more sedentary; hanging with friends, chatting, playing cards, listening to music, or watching a movie.

I also can't seem to embrace the siesta, I want to lay down and rest mid day, but there always seems to be something going on, or that needs to be done.  I do computer related work for friends and some charitable organizations and I tend to do these things in the heat of the afternoon because I can sit in front of the fan. Occasionally I'll lay in the pool and might doze off for a short while, but not typically.  

Gatherings with friends tend to start later here, and end later - so when I've been up since 6 or 7, and the clock is hitting midnight, I am yawning, my eyes are drooping...

So here's how I want my day to be  -  wake about 6, because it is so lovely and cool, take my coffee, book, and binoculars to the garden, toss the ball for the dogs, read a bit, watch the birds...  after an hour or two return to the house, check and reply to emails, check the news, read a few blogs...  Do a few things in the house, sweep, dust, wash floors, etc. Maybe read some more.
Mid-afternoon, have a lovely meal, obviously prepared by someone else, who will also do the dishes and tidy up afterwards so that I can go lie in the pool for an hour.  Come back in, shower, take a siesta for an hour, get up, check emails again, maybe read for a while, then get ready to go out - about 8 head out, catch up with some friends go to a show, music, dance, theater, something, then after the show stop for a little cena and some wine, then home and in bed by about 1.

yeah, that's my idea of a good day, totally oblivious to the world at large, no good deeds to do, no stress, no anxiety.

so how do i get there? 

2 comments:

  1. Debi,
    I make lunch in the morning unless it's salad. Planning it in the am and slow cooking or putting it in the oven to cook makes a big difference to have a comida mid day.Bag o' lettuce makes an almost instant salad with add-ons.

    Also I do left overs for cena or a tray of anti-pasto like foods. Some cheese,olives, a few marinated artichoke hearts, salami or ham. Something easy.

    Breakfast is usually a fritata with spinach and bacon. Or we have plain full fat yogurt with some coconut oil, chia seeds, dried berries and nuts all mixed together.

    I know you are not eating meat anymore so bacon etc is out, but a frittata is easy mid day too.

    Oh, I keep cocktail shrimp on hand to mix with (homemade) dressing and fill avocados with for when I don't want to cook. (are you eating seafood ?).

    Except for the going out in the evenings you've pretty much described my ideal life. Mine would include painting and doing some writing ever day also maybe sewing in the afternoon.

    I don't nap, but I do lay down with my kindle in the hammock in the afternoon. Just resting and not being in front of the computer helps.

    I hope you are able to figure out homw to achieve your ideal life!

    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. see, it's all that planning, I'm no good at it. When it's time to eat, that's when I think about it!

    I happen to know you are quite social, and do stuff with various 'groups', so don't try to fool us!

    ReplyDelete