Pages

Rembrandt in Merida Mexico

The Rembrandt exhibition, the divine and the human will be available to the public at the Olimpo Cultural Center from July 20 to October 20, 2013, 10am till 8pm.

The Dutch painter Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijnarrived, lived and painted between 15 July 1606 and 4 October 1669.

This exhibition arrived in Mérida from Milan. Included in this collection are engravings in religious genre, portraiture, and landscape subjects.  Tom and I went this morning and viewed the  68  engravings.  

I love how they decorated the stairway leading up to the exhibit


I am having difficulty believing that the engravings I saw this morning are some 380+/- years old.  





There are three salas to view in this exhibition; the first is of religious theme items, the second includes some religious figures but are all portraits, aka 'retratos', and the third is educational material and displays.



There was/is strict security, photos are forbidden.  I can understand flash photography being an issue, but utilizing the natural light, what's the problem.  There were monitors, and cameras set up so don't be silly.

I snapped this shot from a corner of the first sala, and was then advised against taking fotos, and afterwards was followed and monitored throughout the rest of my time.


The exhibit set up is really lovely   beautiful deep rich color on the walls, each piece individually lit. I was amazed at how small the pieces were.  Most were no more than postcard size, and a few as small as a matchbook.  And OMG the detail...They are good height for viewing. My big complaint was the information placards, they are so low, and in such tiny font that you must bend over at each one to read the information.  

There are a number of huge graphics of various paintings accompanied by info or details about Rembrandt, the medium, or some aspect of the exhibit.



The Olimpo rotunda with Rembrandt banners





The third sala was the informational material, no actual artwork so I thought I could show you some of the cool info, but No!  I snapped this shot below and was immediately warned against photography.  When I explained that this wasn't sensitive stuff and only informational I was still told No, No fotos!   So you are just going to have to go.

this was explaining the engraving and printing process.
There was a timeline of events during Rembrandt's life, very interesting... Several videos to watch, books of his work, all in all a very interesting addition to the exhibition.