Pages

what a pain in the ass!

The Free Dictionary  provides this -

pain in the ass and a pain in the butt; a pain in the rear
Fig. a very annoying thing or person. (Crude. Potentially offensive. Use only with discretion. An elaboration of pain. Use caution with ass. Butt is less offensive. Rear is euphemistic.) That guy is a real pain in the ass. Things like that give me a pain in the butt.
See also: asspain


I went to the Hospital today - to the Urgencias (Emergency Room).   For those of you who know me know this must be something - else I am having a complete collapse. That or something is changing and with age I am becoming either more wise or more cautious.

On Sunday, while the dogs were inside eating, I took the adorable little kitten of the previous post outside for some sunshine.  He explored, sniffed about and in general took in some sun (vitamin D) and had a bit of exercise.   After about 15 minutes I picked up kitty and was carrying him in to the house to return him to his cage.  Well as we were passing the dogs kitty had a fright and while trying to escape my hold bit me good, and then fell to the ground amidst the dogs.  Ceniza immediately set to getting him, and then me to getting Ceniza, and the other dogs joining in for the fun.   I managed to snatch kitty up before Ceniza could.

A lot of drama ensued that I just can't get in to and it was an hour before I could do more than just wrap a paper towel around my finger to stop the bleeding.  When I was able I scrubbed the wounds thoroughly, pushed and pushed to flush the wounds and doused them liberally with both peroxide and betadyne.  I checked and peeled away any skin flaps.  Good job, clean and dry.  Well, Not!

Kitty is being treated for numerous parasites and transmitted to me some pretty nasty bacteria.  So this is what my finger looked like Monday morning.  



I began a regimen of 4 or 5 times a day soaks in hot water with epsom salts and garlic.  Garlic is both antibacterial and inflammatory, and salt is just an all around good cleanser and healer.  Also on Monday I stopped by a farmacia and got a prescription for an antibiotic, Cefalexina - 500 mg 2 x per day. The box of 20capsules cost me 56pesos.

So today, Wednesday this is what the finger looks like, the inflammation is intense, but there is no pus so the infection is being kept at bay.


 Unfortunately I don't think the antibiotic is doing the trick.  So that is what precipitated the trip to the hospital.  Unfortunately I don't have who I would consider a general physician.

The swelling is immense, the stiffness is well stiff as a board, attempts to bend are met with nearly intolerable pain, the skin is so sensitive, well I could go on...still only the clear liquid coming out, so no pus, that's good, but it's just not improving.

So off to Clinica de Merida,  I've actually been to this hospital several times, but always in attendance to others.  This is first time I've met a Dr there that didn't or wouldn't speak English, but we did just fine.   He looked at the finger, made some faces, did a thorough cleanse, opened the wound, was surprised that there was no pus and declared I needed a stronger antibiotic,,,,administered as shots, in my arse.  He gave me a script for 3 doses of antibiotic which I had to go to the farmacia to buy.  Tom did that while I paid my hospital bill.  270pesos for the consulta, and 26pesos for the supplies used.

We returned with the antibiotics to the nurse, she asked where were the needles/syringes????  so back to the farmacia to buy 3 needles.  Then back to the nurse where she instructed Tom on administering the next 2 days injections as she administered today's injection.  I am to return Saturday for a followup check and a 4th injection, if needed.

So this antibiotic Megion IM 1g solution, x 3 dosis was 900pesos, holy crap this stuff better work!,  and 3 5ml syringes were 10pesos.


so there you have my current medical experience - what a pain in the ass!