Pages

IN SOLIS SIS TIBI TURBA LOCIS, yeah, I know, sounds like Latin to me too!

While in Florence Italy recently Tom and I were on a walkabout in the not so touristy area on the Oltrarno side of the Arno river.  

we came across this beautiful building with this above the entry doorway

IN SOLIS SIS TIBI TURBA LOCIS

(In solitude, be a multitude to thyself), this phrase is attributed to Tibullus.
Albius Tibullus (ca. 55 BC – 19 BC)



We of course didn't know what it meant at the time and speculated, because of the size of the building, and it's location and quantity of large windows that it could possibly be a tuberculosis retreat.

You can, with fair certainty postulate that I have NO Latin studies in my background!

I bring this up just because, as I have always asserted, Travel Broadens Your Mind

 I mean had I never traveled to Italy, had I not traveled across that bridge, had I not seen the tower that lead me on the circuitous walk that brought me to pass this building, I would never have known of Tibullus!
wiki says this about Tibullus


Lawrence Alma-Tadema: Tibullus at Delia's. 1866 Oil on wood Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, USA

a few detail shots of part of the building