Pages

Design Theory meets Chaos

Classic Design Theory

Classic design theory promotes unity in terms of the objects present. As such, unity discusses the need to tie the various elements together. Unity is a measure of how the elements of a design seem to fit together - to belong together. A unified work represents first a whole, then the sum of its parts.

Nancy in Mazatlan, from Countdown to Mexico recently posted about her patio redo - her desire to unify the look and design of her patio.


I'm planning a trip to Ticul to do the same thing. I need to create a sense of unity, as if I actually had a plan - as if, indeed! - I'm really bad about seeing one pot I like and buying it, even if it is a completely different style from all the others.

In fact I have one sort of French Renaissance cement pedestal pot with an asparagus fern that just doesn't fit anywhere so sits in a corner with other things I've purchased that just don't yet seem to have a purpose or are waiting for, well who knows what - Divine inspiration...

See, none of these things seem to have a common or unifying theme or look. But I like each piece independently of the others.

Oh, what's a girl to do!
Let's just call it eclectic! Which kind of says I have no plan, I just like it! The trick is how do I bring all these very different elements together and merge them into a cohesive decorating scheme.

Taking a lesson from miss Scarlett "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."