Pages

cooking: flor de calabaza relleno de picadillo

I have several very long calabaza  (squash) vines growing in my garden.  Each morning as I walk through the garden I enjoy the beauty of SO many beautiful yellow blossoms.

I was told recently that I should pick some of them and stuff them - so that's just what I did!

This morning early I went out and picked about a dozen calabaza flowers.


Yesterday, knowing I wanted to make stuffed flor de calabaza, I made some picadillo:
about 1/2 k lean ground beef'
1/2 med onion, chopped fine
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 quartered green olives
all cooked together with about 2 cups homemade salsa de tomate
cook until nearly dry.
If desired add a bit of powdered black pepper or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

Vegetarian trick,  I have used crumbled hydrated textured soy protein in place of the meat a bit more seasoning is required.


Pull the ends off the squash blossoms and twist out the stamen, rinse in cold fresh water. If the flower is big enough open it and spoon in picadillo, else I split the blossom open and drop in a big spoon of filling, push edges together and lay cut side down in a casserole.   Spoon your prepared salsa de tomate over the stuffed flors, if desired top with grated cheese, parmesan, monterrey jack, manchego....
Heat thoroughly to melt cheese and serve.